Sunday 3 August 2008

Two Kinds of Sorbet

Our trip to France last month was filled with daily doses of dessert (naturally - we were on holiday). At least half the time we went to the effort of having a healthy dessert, and so would have sorbet. The other half of the time...we at like we were on holiday. But back to the sorbet: having it so easily available in so many flavors re-awakened the belief that fruit sorbet is one of the more miraculous sweet things one could hope to eat. Filled with fresh fruit and with little more to mar its healthiness than a sugar syrup, it comes close to being one of the rare non-naughty naughty foods.

It's the right time of year to experiment with making sorbets, given all the fresh fruit on offer and the flavors they might make together. I'm currently having a bit of a love affair with watermelon, and since even I find it a bit of a challenge to work my way through 10 pounds of fruit, it has been given the sorbet treatment. I've also been missing the option of enjoying my Pimms O'Clock when the mood for something refreshing, fruity, and alcoholic overtakes me, so Pimms style sorbet has also been created.

I threw mint into both of them to make them that much more refreshing, and though they were slightly similar in taste the Pimms sorbet also had a bit of lemon and so a bit more tartness. I loved both and have happily convinced myself that I'm getting part of my 5 a day from eating them. I next want to experiment with canned and frozen fruit in the hope of extending the sorbet season beyond just
the summer. I'll happily put on an extra woolen sweater in the winter if it means being able to eat such lovely frozen fruitiness.


Watermelon & Mint Sorbet, and Cucumber, Strawberry & Mint Sorbet (AKA, Pimms Sorbet)
each serves 4 dessert portions

Watermelon and Mint

  • 125 g sugar
  • 125 ml water
  • about 2 pounds of watermelon (4 cups when cut up), diced de-seeded
  • small handful of fresh mint

Cucumber, Strawberry and Mint
  • 125 g sugar
  • 125 ml water
  • 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced (about 2 cups when cut up)
  • 1 package strawberries, green tops removed
  • 1 handful of fresh mint
  • juice of half a lemon

Method for both:
  1. Dissolve the sugar in the water by heating it over a medium heat. Wait until the sugar is entirely dissolved, resisting the desire to stir but possibly swirling the pot if some of the sugar is being stubborn.
  2. Remove the sugar syrup and cool down.
  3. Put the fruit and mint leaves into a blender along with the cooled sugar syrup (and lemon juice, if following that recipe).
  4. Blend the mixture for at least a minute, until everything is very smooth.
  5. Pour into an ice cream maker and churn until frozen and smooth.

8 comments:

jasmine said...

We've had a cooler and wetter summer than normal, so I've not had my usual sorbet quota. Well...that and I still can't fit my ice cream insert into the freezer. Again, love the colour...

j

Beth (jamandcream) said...

My ice cream machine is going to be working overtime. Like the sound if the watermelon sorbet

Anonymous said...

Watermelon and mint? Wow, that does sound really refreshing. I might have to give that a try. Thanks!

Gigi said...

oh how I wish my freezer wasn't jam packed. Or else I would be joining you in making this wonderful sorbet. I am saving this for when I have more room in my freezer.

Anonymous said...

How yummy. I'm currently having a love affair with watermelon too. I love the colour as much as the flavour - so pretty!

Anonymous said...

oooh! watermelon and mint? strawberries and mint? What a lovely and inspiring combination. These sound so perfectly summer and refreshing!

Jeanne said...

Have to say that given the summer weather we have been having, sorbet hasn't been uppermost in my mind... but that watermelon sorbet looks mighty fine!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

...non-naughty naughty foods, now there's a concept for you!!! I like that.

I've been having a life long love affair with watermelon.
Both these sorbets sound really cool and refreshing summer fare.