Thursday 21 May 2009

Weaning

I hope you'll forgive this break in the normal recipe posting schedule in lieu of me talking a bit about Baby A&N. If you're of a delicate, non-baby disposition, do look away now (and return next week, please).

Rather than thinking of what to make for Mr A&N and myself this past week, my efforts have been concentrated on Baby A&N since we have begun feeding him solid foods. Hooray! He's a fair sized boy, in the 80-something percentile for weight and 90-something percentile for height, and has been jealously eyeing anything that went into anyone's mouth for several
weeks now. I didn't read any childcare books before Baby A&N was born since I didn't want to tie myself in knots about what I should or shouldn't do, but I felt that weaning did probably contain some shoulds and shouldn'ts and so I ought to look through a book or two before tackling solids.

But the books I looked through only confused me more, and didn't always help answer what I thought were basic questions (How much should I feed him? If he wants more solids, should I give it to him or should I guide him toward his milk? At what age should the solids replace the milk during particular feeds? How do I get him to enjoy food rather than just eat it?). So we've decided to invent our own weaning method. We're doing a bit of puree to sate his appetite and a bit of baby led weaning to help him start enjoying food (and we do our best not to panic if Baby A&N has a gagging moment while munching on his stick of cucumber/banana/broccoli). We're also trusting in Baby A&N's palate to guide us through his meals and aren't waiting to introduce strong flavors - anything goes and so far, so good. In one week, he's tackled:

  • Sweet potato
  • Butternut squash
  • Carrot
  • Broccoli
  • Cucumber
  • Mango
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Potato
  • Beetroot
  • Pear
The only mildly unsuccessful taste so far has been the potato, but I'm sure he'll come around since I can't see him living a life without potato chips and french fries. And I'm sure I'll learn a bit more too - such as not feeding him beetroot just before heading out to meet people. "He looks like he slaughtered a cow with his face" commented Mr A&N on seeing the beetroot aftermath. True, but he wanted more - and in my book of weaning, that's a good thing.

13 comments:

Alanna Kellogg said...

What a face, that one!

Pille said...

Hello, baby A&N! I'll keep an eye on this post, as it'll be great to refer back in 3 months' time!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That's right up there with the chocolate cake photo of our youngest on 2nd birthday!
Beautiful boy.

Betsy said...

My babies love beets, too!

Unknown said...

This is great! Since reading Gill Rapley's Baby-Led Weaning, we're also planning to do BLW. And since Elisabeth is still a little peanut (25th percentile) who is thriving on breast milk, I'm planning to just skip purees. We'll see how things go, though. I never say "never" when it comes to babies! So far E has enjoyed sucking on melon, pear and apple that I was eating and managed to suck on a piece of cucumber she held herself. Here we go.... !

jasmine said...

My goodness...what a face :)

j

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Oh how gorgeous!!

Anushruti said...

Loved the photo!

beach houses said...

Looks like the baby really did enjoyed his meal... soo cuuttee

pswnio said...

Aha ha ha ha ha ha.

Annemarie said...

Hi Alanna - I love the 1000 mile stare with the face, too. :)

Hi Pille - I'm sure baby Pille will be eating very well when it's time, and that she's chomping at the bit until it's her turn.

Hi Tanna - I figure every parent has to have some similar shot in their arsenal, to frame and embarrass their child with.

Hi Betsy - Well, who knew! Glad to hear that your kids have good vegetable relationships too!

Hi Kari - Nice to hear from you and that your little one is doing well. So impressed you're going for BLW since I find it such a heart in mouth experience (though I try to keep my smile stuck on). Hope Elisabeth carries on being very impressive!

Hi Jasmine - Who knew you would be e-auntie to such a cutie? ;)

Hi Amanda - It makes you want to eat him up, except you'd get messy too.

Hi Anushruti - Thanks very much.

Hi houses - he did indeed enjoy it. Thanks. :)

Hi Kai - Next time he's in such a state, I'll take him around yours for a cuddle.

ChefSara said...

very cute! we only feed beets to the munchkin after we take his clothes off. it makes such a mess. i didn't hold off on strong flavors and he actually seems to prefer them. he loves curried apples and squash, and a pureed a bit of a navy bean soup with roasted garlic and he can't get enough of it! i say that if he likes and he'll eat it, go for it!

Amy said...

Weaning is really exciting and tiring at the same time. Solid food is just new to his palate and is exciting him too. It is just so cute to see baby A&N with his beetroot meal all over his face.