Friday 13 July 2007

Food Blog Round-Up

This week has been a build-up to an event that has been 7 months in the making. For Christmas, Mr A&N and I gave his brother the gift of a suckling pig to roast. It hasn't been sitting and festering in a back room for 7 months, rest assured; it was delivered this morning, and the only condition of the gift was that we be invited to the cooking. I shall be making special piggie cookies for the event (not tasting like pork, simply shaped like said animal) and Mr. A&N might finally be taking the axe to our long-ago-felled apple tree so that we might have smokey (wet) applewood with which to cook the pig. Might, I say.

This is the state of my mind as I go into the weekend, and Food Musings reflects my meaty thoughts, sandwiched as they are between the upcoming pig and the just-gone side of beef. Her trip to a Brazilian meat palace sounds amazing (if meat is your thing).


To balance all that meatiness, a recipe on Chocolate and Zucchini for quinoa salad has caught my attention. I've never cooked with quinoa although I know I ought to, it being a super-food and all. It even involves tofu, so it could be a good karmic balance to all the meat.

And thinking of the karmic balance of eating meat vs. not, local vs. organic vs. none of the above, the Accidental Hedonist has several quick stories musing over such topics this week.


Finally, Brownie Points carriers a story about a miracle fruit from Africa as reported about on NPR. The fruit manages to make sour, bitter things taste sweet, with the obvious bonus that the bitter item doesn't have to be loaded full of sugars to taste good. I'd love to try it, and if I manage to work my way through as much pig and piggie cookies as I expect to this weekend, this fruit might be needed to bring my weight back down.

Enjoy your weekends!

No comments: