Tuesday 31 July 2007

Raspberry Pancakes

After my pick-your-own raspberry bounty, I wanted to find a good way of using my well-gotten gains. I was happy to eat myself sick on the kilo of fruit, but that wouldn't have much impressed Mr. A&N. I had visions of elaborate raspberry-based desserts in mind, but the fruit didn't survive the bike ride back from the train, packed as it was in plastic containers. When I got home, most of the raspberries had been compressed under their own weight with the result being a kilo of raspberry mush.

This seemed an undignified end to the fruit picking affair, as well as an impediment to making little tarts with pert rings of raspberries to greet the eater. Luckily, my picking partner (and fellow-American) Amanda gave me the obvious answer of how the use the raspberries: make pancakes with them.

I like my pancakes to contain wholewheat, so they can be a bit healthier. I also resist putting too much sugar in the batter since I know I'll douse them in maple syrup when done - I believe it's a law in several US states that pancakes must be swimming in syrup before you're allowed to eat them. I know that's the law where I come from.
Wholewheat Pancakes with Fruit
Yields around 8 medium pancakes

  • 2/3 C Wholewheat flour
  • 2/3 C White flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbs, heaped, light brown sugar
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/4 C milk
  • 1 Tbs oil
  • 1/2 C fruit such as raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc.
  1. Heat a skillet (preferably a cast iron one) over medium heat. Getting the heat of the pan right is very important - too hot and they burn, too cool and it takes achingly long. I also like to turn on the grill at a low temperature in order to keep the finished pancakes warm until ready to eat.
  2. Combine the dry ingredients
  3. Add the egg, milk, and oil to the dry ingredients and mix until there are no lumps.
  4. The batter should be fairly runny at this point - thicker than just milk, but runny enough to pour off a spoon fairly quickly.
  5. Add the fruit to the pancake batter.
  6. Using a soup spoon or ladle, pour a spoonful of batter into the pan. Using a cast iron pan means you won't need to add much - if any - butter before adding the pancakes, but you may chose to add butter anyway.
  7. Pancake is ready to turn when small bubbles ring the outside of the pancake. This should take 2-4 minutes.
  8. Pancake is ready when the center is firm to the touch.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Wow, these look good. Wishing I had more raspberries left... Will try it out with blueberries I think. :)