Wednesday 8 August 2007

Rhubarb, Apple, and Ginger jam

I found myself with some rhubarb on my hands. Then, I realized I had some apples around as well. Out from the freezer came the ginger, and I had a nice little jam trio. I first thought of making them into a chutney, but our house is currently swimming in them (Mr A&N is having a prolonged chutney moment). So jam it became, for variation's sake.
I've made a few jams before but one of two of them didn't set, so I'll admit to cheating this time and buying jam sugar to help me along the way. It did the trick and it came out nice and solid, and very tasty to boot. Now, I just have to get us to eat bread and jam every day so that we can work our way through the five jars of the stuff.
Rhubarb, Apple, and Ginger Jam

  • 800 g rhubarb
  • 200 g cooking apples, peeled
  • 1 hunk of ginger
  • 1 kg jam sugar
  1. Place a dish in the fridge.
  2. Cut up the rhubarb and apples into somewhat small chunks, and slice the ginger thinly
  3. Sweat the rhubarb, apples, and ginger over a medium heat, until they are mostly mush. You may need to add a splash of water to keep it from burning, depending on your pan
  4. When the fruit has significantly softened, stir in the sugar and turn up the heat until the mixture is gently boiling.
  5. Cook for about 10 minutes, and test if it's ready by dropping a couple of small spoonfuls onto the chilled plate. It will be ready if the jam solidifies on the plate.
  6. Place jam into steralized jars (you'll need about 6-8 jars, around 250-300 g each - easy to recycle these from different foodstuffs you have eaten).

3 comments:

Cara said...

What a lovely combination - it sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I have just followed this recipe to make jam for the first time, and am waiting for the jam to set. Have tasted some from the spoon and it is delicious!

Thank you!

Reuss said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe: I made the jam last week and it is wonderful!