Monday 27 August 2007

Peyton and Byrne Cupcakes

After reading about them in Eat Like A Girl, the spectre of Peyton and Burne cupcakes loomed large in my mind (a giant ghostly cupcake, one of your more pleasant poltergeists) and I knew I would have to submit and buy some. With a visit to my new godson, Matthew (as well as to mother Deirdre and sister Roisin) as an excuse, I made a special trip to their shop on Tottenham Court Road in order to chose my selection.

The shop was very sweet looking and instilled 1950's cupcake-confidence - I even felt myself taking mental notes on their tiles and grouting for my new kitchen (grouting! exciting! I've entered a parallel world, I think). At £10 for 5 cupcakes you have to be committed to the cause, which indeed I was. And off I went, hoping I wouldn't look too greedy when I presented my 'gift' of cupcakes and immediatly ate 20% of the overall bounty.

Roisin, as you can see, was very taken by the yellow iced cupcake (of the few pictures I tried to take, her pointing finger - 'Want this one' - or hovering hand was in each. I think it adds character to the shot. You just have to accept when around a toddler that if they want a piece of what you're doing, you won't get any peace in what you're doing). And why wouldn't she set eyes on that mini cake - it is quite alluring. When wrapper was peeled back, the cupcake itself looked yellowy and fluffy moist, just as you'd hope it would. Deirdre and I shared the mint chocolate cupcake, and I found that not as exciting as I had hoped. The cupcake was a bit dense rather than fluffy, and the icing didn't taste as minty as I would have liked nor the cake as chocolatey. Perhaps the yellow-caked ones are a better bet, but for £2 a cupcake you'd hope they'd all be quite spectacular.Funnily enough, Su-Lin at Tamarind and Thyme had a cupcake experience last weekend as well , and she favors the treats found at the Hummingbird Bakery (also recommended by Amanda the American, friend of Ambrosia and Nectar and frequent co-eater). Out of fairness, I will have to make a trip to compare them.

For good measure, I've thrown in a picture of the guest of honor (and secondary cupcake recipient) Matthew, all of 16 days old in this shot. As a good godmother, I promise to make him all the baked goods he wants when he grows up (he even has it in writing, now).

4 comments:

Kit_URM said...

We've got that in writing now! I know its a good few months before he's on solids but can we please order some baked goods to taste in advance?!?!? Thank you for a lovely blog post, and a great photo.

Wendy said...

£10 for 5 fairycakes! They should have been super-dooper spectacular! ;)
That said, I'm a mug for buying REALLY expensive chocolate and being disappointed that, though it's obviously better than a Flake, I didn't actually enjoy it more...

Maggie said...

Hi AnneMarie - I have tagged you for The Famous Four Meme - I hope you don't mind. Mine will appear on my site this p.m. Best wishes, Margaret.

african vanielje said...

Hi A&N, what a delicious blog. Love the pic of your godson, and the little fingers, and the cupcakes. Will be back for more.